Friday, February 3, 2012

DCP - Phone Interview

Wow, that was not what I expected at all!

I got my call around 5 minutes after my scheduled time and the woman on the phone was incredibly sweet. She started with basic questions about my application, did I have a valid driver's license, which season was I applying for, etc. She said they do this with everyone to clear up any potential computer errors. Fair enough.

Then we moved on to the big question: Why the Disney College Program at Walt Disney World? I answered that I chose WDW over California because I had been to DL once when I was 2 months old and did not remember the park. Her response was "Really? You didn't remember it?" And we had a good laugh. I also mentioned that I am looking at working for the Disney company long term at the end of the program with their entertainment division. Finally, I said that I love transitions. An opportunity to go from college to the "real world" while I still had my feet in both places was a welcome thing.

She asked a lot about my previous work experience, how it related to a job at WDW. I talked about being on stage and how comfortable I was talking with large groups, memorizing, and improvising. I also said I had customer service experience because I worked with costumes, learning to make people comfortable and happy. Finally I talked about camp counselling and how much I enjoyed being around people just to talk to them and help them out.

What pace do I enjoy in a work environment? FAST!

Do I prefer individual work or group work? A little of both. I like to work on my own project but also be able to collaborate with someone else. It's less lonely. (laugh from the interviewer)

Do I mind being interrupted while I work? Nope, I am genuinely good at multi-tasking.

When was I time I felt like I had so many things to do that I wouldn't finish them? First of all, I am a "yes-man" and often take on too many things at once. That being said, I recalled a busy time in my life and shared my love of list-making! Visualize your tasks and prioritize! What has the most urgency and the closest deadline? Start that first. One foot in front of the other.

Then we got into the residency questions. This was pretty quick:

How do you deal with conflicts that arise when you are living with others? First of all, understand that everyone grew up differently. The most important thing is to communicate with one another. If you are bothered that someone doesn't rinse their dishes and just leaves them in the sink, say so. That person might realize that, while it was fine to do that at their house while growing up, it upsets their current roommates and needs to change. No problem! Never let something stew and boil until you are really angry and get into a shouting match.

Finally, specific role questions. This was the weird part. I got one question, that's it.

Why would you want to be a character attendant? I would enjoy facilitating one of the most memorable Disney experiences (meeting a character) and I would also be able to talk with people, which I love! What have you done today? What are you going to do? Let me help you find something!

Did I have any questions? Sure did! I asked my interviewer if she had done the DCP and she had. Said it was one of the most memorable experiences of her life. She went away to do some volunteer jobs then returned to the Disney Company. "It really is a life long thing, if that's what you want to make it." Just what I wanted to hear!

And now I wait. Hopefully I will hear back sooner than later about whether or not I am accepted. Auditions in Orlando are in March. I'll be there!

2 comments:

  1. I followed you over here from the Disboards (I'm heaven2dc). Your interview was awesome! Great answers (I would have hired you right then)!

    I forgot about the other questions my interviewer asked that were similar to yours - my interview seemed like a blur and I could only remember a few things. I definitely know you will get accepted!

    I loved your answer to the "why WDW" question - very funny lol I am concerned about being accepted because I am most everyone's mother's ages but Danielle said "don't worry - DCP is open to ALL ages!" She was very encouraging and helpful - even took time to look up whether the Disneyland housing has studios. She even said for me to request one!

    I wish you lots of luck (not that you need it)! Thanks for sharing your experience so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement! I had to recount the interview on the phone with my mom for twice as long as the actual interview took just to remember the questions! I'm sure I didn't quite get them all, but it was close.

    Best of luck to you as well!

    ReplyDelete