Friday, February 10, 2012

Late Night Ponderings...

There is a crazy storm outside right now. Hopefully my frog chair on the deck will be safe!!! Okay, it's not THAT crazy, but you get what I'm saying.

Today was an interesting day indeed. We had previews for the showcase performance for the high school as well as a group of disabled adults from the community. The elementary students also came to the second preview to rehearse their part in the show (which I will be running!). Let's just say it was... deplorable. The kids did their part as wonderfully as they could, but for the high school students I think today was a major wake up call. I'm not sure they all realized how much work needed to be put in outside of class. Needless to say they are all showing up hours early tomorrow to practice on their own before final dress in the afternoon and the first performance in the evening.

I stopped at Winn-Dixie on the way home under the impression that they had a special for $5 off of $50 gift cards to Disney. They did not, but I still bought the gift card (I'm going to Disney in a week, I'll spend it! lol). I found out that Winn-Dixie runs a fuelperks program, same company that works with Giant Eagle and some Kroger stores. I got 10 cents off for purchasing the gift cards, so it was not a complete loss there. Now to find a Winn-Dixie gas station...

While shopping, I realized I had made a horrible mistake... I had not had a chance to eat lunch and it was 3 PM... and I was in the grocery store. This led to a few impulse purchases. I bought a donut for the car ride home because I thought I was going to die from hunger, debated also buying muffins and danishes, but I resisted knowing that it was my tummy talking. Then I was walking by the salad toppings section (croutons, dressings, etc.) and decided I needed more pre-cooked bacon pieces. Relatively inexpensive (happened to be on sale!) and great for a quick topper. I like mixing them in with black beans and rice, yum!

Also in that section, I discovered perhaps the greatest snack/topping ever in the history of the universe. You have heard of onion straws? Well, Winn-Dixie carries JALAPENO STRAWS!!!! They are killer. I can only eat two or three pieces at a time (they are more like a jalapeno round than a straw, IMO) or I will burst into flames. I imagine they will go nicely with my black beans, bacon, and rice combo...

On another note, I finished "Game of Thrones" last night, the first book in George R.R. Martin's series. AMAZING! It is very similar to "Lord of the Rings" in the fact that it is a totally immersive fantasy experience. Where I might recommend LotR to young teens who are avid readers, GoT is definitely for an adult audience. It runs fairly parallel to the HBO series (which I watched piecemeal as I read the book) and I would also recommend the series. It really feels like a movie but then you realize it is single episodes. VERY EXCITING! I may start reading "Clash of Kings" tonight, but I'm not sure. I took a long-ish nap in the late afternoon and I'm not quite ready to wind down, hence the blog post.

I also made limeade today. I love Florida citrus!

Does anyone else think I should write a James Joyce style novel? Stream of consciousness? I think people's heads would explode from how quickly I jump from one thought to the next. I had to explain to my supervisor's wife today (the choreographer for the showcase) that I will often start talking about a subject that we stopped talking about five minutes ago because I thought of something else to add. I will give no indication that this is what I am talking about and instead just ramble for a bit while everyone around me tries to backtrack to what was said before. Fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment