Tuesday, February 14, 2012

State Fair part 2

After Cracker Country, it was going on 3 PM and I was SUPER hungry. My new mission was to find lunch/dinner ASAP!

I found something that I had never seen before and it sounded super yummy, so I gave it a shot:


Cavatapi pasta with a meatball served in a GARLIC BREAD BOWL! Just as tasty as it sounds, people. I was afraid the garlic bread taste would only be on the outside, but it turns out that they brushed the inside of the bowl with garlic spread and quickly toasted it to order. I was very confused by the guy selling the pasta because A) There was a midway guy shouting behind me and I couldn't hear him very well and B) He was trying to be funny and told me that you could only buy the pasta in a bread bowl if you ordered 2 of them. I was like "I don't want two of them" and I was really sad because I thought I would have to find something else to eat, lol.

I sat down to eat my pasta and watched part of the Lumberjack Show. It was like a competition between lumberjacks with lots of corny jokes, lol. I finished my pasta and I was STUFFED so I decided more walking was in order. I wandered around the "mall" area for awhile where there was more food along with booths selling airbrushed tees, old time photos, etc. Lots of cheap junk... and a cooking demonstration, lol. There were three different cooking demonstrations that I saw at the fair. Apparently one of the sponsors is a cookware company.

As I was wandering, I found the ultimate state fair entertainment... HOLLYWOOD PIG RACERS!!!! Their last show was in 10 minutes and I knew I had to take a seat. I found a spot up front where I could get some photos of the pigs in action. According to a newspaper article I read about the fair, pig races were often standing room only. Good thing I got a spot to sit down, lol. It was a fun time. The show was only 15 minutes long and, again, was very corny. The crowd was cheering for the pigs while they ran around the ring, super cute. Here is a picture. There is a video on my facebook page.


Tee hee! At the end of the show, the host told everyone about the free petting zoo next door. I went there next. Inside, you could pay $1 for some animal food. I didn't feed any animals, but I enjoyed watching the giraffe taking carrots from peoples' hands.


It was near 5 PM and I had about an hour left at the fair. There was a circus show at 5:30, but I wasn't interested. Instead, I went to the livestock barns. On the way, I spotted some... interesting food options.


The burger booth had lots of other, equally appalling options. I also saw deep fried bubblegum, deep fried kool-aid, and lots of other foods you would only find at a fair.


I'll save my deep fried treat for later...







The livestock barns had some cool exhibits. They were hatching chickens in one and there were some newborn chicks trying to waddle around -precious-. The best exhibit was the FFA all the way at the back of the fair. They had an "orchard" where you could pick an orange and squeeze it yourself for some fresh orange juice. I also tried a kumquat (delicious) and played Cattle Trivia (I lost, but the girl running it said I could try again if I wanted to win a hamburger shaped yoyo. (Thanks, but no thanks). You could also "milk a cow" (a statuette that squirted water when you touched the udder, tee hee) and make your own butter. Apparently it just takes heavy whipping cream and a lot of shaking. I opted to not deal with the butter because I wanted to take pictures and needed my hands free.


Then it was time for my ultimate fair food experience. I had read about this treat online and knew I wanted one for dessert. My pasta had settled and I was ready to conquer...


THE CANDY COMBOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

1 deep fried Milky Way bar, 2 deep fried oreos, and 1 deep fried reese's peanut butter cup. So many calories, but it was a one time thing and I couldn't resist.





Top left: Milky Way, Top right: Oreo, Bottom center: Reeses

It was DELICIOUS! And also made me feel like I was going to be sick... BUT DELICIOUS! I sat to eat my dessert and the lumberjack show was on again. Still funny the second time, lol.

That was it! One quick stop at the tea co. for my take home refill and I was off towards home. I got back at 10 til 9. Pretty good timing if I do say so myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment